The Route (Click to zoom)

Monday, June 16, 2008

Ulm to Eggelstetten

June 14th
98km

Marilyn and Murry left the trip this morning. I was riding into Ulm with them two days ago when they miscommunicated and rode into each other where the cycle path merged with a road. Marilyn fell and broke her ankle, and that was the end of their cycling trip. They fly home to Canada today where she needs to get a metal screw put in her ankle. Doesn't sound like much fun to me. Hope that's the last medical problem for people on the trip.

Today's ride was much colder than the past days. I wore my jacket for most of it, and wished I didn't have all of my warmer clothes in my permanent bag. Although it was overcast, it didn't rain.

We followed the cycle path again for most of the day, although that didn't stop us from getting lost a few times. It must look funny for locals to see 20 cyclists fly by along a dead end street, only to ride back the other direction 5 minutes later. Scenery was nice, but nothing spectacular. Long stretches in the forest, some through fields, and some others along side the river.

A lot of the cycle path has been on loose gravel. I'm happy to have my 32mm tires on (versus my regular 23mm ones.

We left the cycle path at the end of the day. Instead of signs, the tour leaders marked the route with bright orange tape on trees to tell us when to turn.

Watched the Netherlands defeat France in a Eurocup match. Manon (who is Dutch, although lives in Australia) was very pleased.

No comments: