The Route (Click to zoom)

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Linz to Emmersdorf

June 20th
111km (481m vertical)

Not much of an update on Neil. Apparently he is still under anesthesia and thus on life support. Poor old guy.

Nic's wheel was making a lot of noise again today, despite Olivier's attempts to replace the bearings. The wheel will definitely need to be replaced. At least there are still lots of bike shops. Al discovered a problem with his crank set in camp, and is now riding with only two chainringschain rings

The tour company was not able to get me a visa in Toronto. The Chinese embassy said that I needed to drop off the passport myself, even though there website says that a tour company can do it for me. I should get my passport back in Budapest, so perhaps I can try again there. If not, then I'll try in Istanbul. What a pain in the butt.

It was really sunny and hot again today. In the 80s most of the day and bright sun. I had to put darker lenses in my cycling glasses to stop squinting.

20km into the ride, we stopped to visit an old Nazi death camp in Mathausen. It was one of the larger camps aside from Auschwitz, and one of the last to be liberated. We walked though the shower room gas chambers and crematorium. Definitely shocking to read the stories of the atrocities that took place there so recently.

By the time we got under way again it was almost noon, so I felt rushed the rest of the day. We spent longer than most at the camp, so we were last to lunch and last into our campsite tonight. Olivier (the mechanic) was sweeping the route, so he cycled with us today at the back. Thankfully there was a tailwind, so we made good time – cruising along at 30km/h for long stretches.

Scenery was again lovely. Still following the Danube river. There were more farmers fields on the hills today, and more cute little buildings as well.

No comments: