The Route (Click to zoom)

Friday, June 27, 2008

Gyor to Esztergom

June 25th
106km (727m vertical)

Last night's campsite was pretty rough. There was a small building of permanent apartments beside the field where we camped, and shady looking locals were watching us all night. The washrooms were inside their building, and were completely disgusting. Reminded me of a scene from “Saw”.

Another hot day, with temperatures up to 95F. We were off the cyclepath and back on regular roads. One was under construction, so we plowed through loose gravel for a few km.

After lunch was our first substantial climb in the past week or so. My knee, which has enjoyed the flat roads, felt fine as I pushed up the hill. It wasn't too bad, but it was very hot. The downhill on the other side was a bit too bumpy and overgrown to be really fun, but I still got up to 52km/h.

Rode the “tandem express” into camp today, as I drafted Carl and Rita. Everyone enjoyed the camp pool, and Al was a big hit with the local kids, who enjoyed throwing beach balls off of his head. We walked into town for a bit, and I had two icecreams and a local cake...before our dinner in camp.

No comments: