The Route (Click to zoom)

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Freiburg to Donaueschingen

June 9th
70km (1,135m vertical)

Lovely sunny day today. Nicest weather we've had all trip. The route out of Freiburg was a bit complicated, so I elected to follow a large pack of riders for the first 15km or so. It took us an entire hour to cover the distance, so I was ready to pick up the pace a little when we got to the country.

There was 9km climb that rose by 800m or so, and I figured this would be a good place to break from the pack. The first 4km were not steep, so I sprinted out of the saddle – thinking that this was representative of the whole climb. l was cycling up ahead of me, and I wanted to catch him on the climb. I did, just as the climb got much steeper for the last 5km. By the end I was in my granny gear (the easiest one) and huffing and puffing like mad. I was the first to the top of the hill though, and the first to the lunch truck on the other side.

Al was annoyed that I hadn't stopped to point out the directions for him today. I told him that those days were over. He has the same cue sheet that I do, and needs to start navigating for himself. Besides, the turnoff was in the middle of a downhill and I was coasting along at 50km/h. I didn't want to slam on the brakes just to point out the turn to Al.

Lunch was a smoked salmon sandwich and a bunch of fruit. After eating, it was an easy 20km to the campsite. I arrived first (at 12:30) and secured a good tent location and a nice hot shower before the others started arriving. Not sure how I'll kill the 6 hours before dinner. Maybe I can start charging people to set up their tents.

No comments: