The Route (Click to zoom)

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Rest Day in Regensburg

June 16th
0km


Regensburg is a lovely city. We stayed in the old part of town, in the middle of a cobblestone street maze. There was one huge cathedral and dozens of gelato shops.


I couriered my passport back to Toronto this morning. A tour company rep there will apply for my China visa later this week. I previously applied for the visa in Washington and New York, but was told I needed to apply in Canada. By the time I had applied in Canada, they were only issuing 3 month visas. Since the trip enters China in 3 months, I am now able to get my visa. Hopefully everything goes smoothly on this 4th attempt. With the Olympics this summer, visa issuing has really tightened up.


I separately mailed a box of clothes back to my parents that I didn't need for the trip. In hindsight, I spent lots of time outfitting my bike and choosing which cycling clothing to bring, but not nearly enough time thinking through my casual clothing. Sending home bulky cotton clothes and replacing them with lightweight synthetics gives me much more room in my bags and will make it easier to dry clothes on line.


Spent the rest of the day shopping and looking (unsuccessfully) for an internet cafe. The only one I found had blacked-out windows, a door with a buzzer, private computer rooms and waitresses to bring you drinks. The patrons didn't seem like tourists updating blogs, so I decided to go elsewhere.


Had a sushi dinner, which I figure is the last thing I'm likely to get in camp next week. It was also the only restaurant where I could get a seat, since Germany had a Eurocup match.

1 comment:

LFL said...

Sushi in Regensburg...how cosmopolitan!

LFL