The Route (Click to zoom)

Friday, August 8, 2008

Too Much Sun

Kelkit to Bush Camp near Pazaryolu
August 6th
117km (2,104m vertical)

I was really annoyed with the tour staff this morning. The day's route was titled “Soccar Field to Bush Camp – 115km”. Aside from the spelling mistake, this title is completely useless to me if I get lost. I suggested adding something like “Bushcamp near Town X”, and other similar suggestions, all of which were rebuffed as if I was an idiot. Sure enough, at 90km, we came to a Y intersection that was not mentioned in the instructions and had to ask a local for directions. Luckily, they had told me what the closest town was during our discussion this morning...but I still think it makes a lot of sense to put the town name clearly on our directions.

Today was not as difficult as the past few. There were some rough roads for the first half, and some steep climbs at the end, but nothing unreasonable. Still, the last 10km really took a lot out of me. The sun was bright and it was showing 100F on my bike computer. (Not sure what it would have been in the shade, but there wasn't any shade so that is a bit irrelevant.) I suspect that I didn't drink enough on the day either, because I got to camp and had no energy. I had an hour nap, ate supper, and I'm about to go to bed. Its 7:15pm!

Our camp tonight is on the top of a dusty hill, and the wind has been absolutely howling all afternoon. It looks like we're camping on the edge of canyon. Tents were flying away and people had to sit behind the trucks to get out of the sun and the wind. I've learned that my roomy 2 person tent is not very good in strong winds. Hopefully the piles of rocks I put on top of the pegs will keep me from flying away. Its a long way down.

Me, on a welcome flat stretch of good road:

We didn't actually cycle on this dirt track, but I thought it was scenic:

Max riding alone a road that swings from left to right for no good reason:
The view from camp of our road into camp:

Cooling off in a cow trough:

No comments: