The Route (Click to zoom)

Friday, August 15, 2008

Packing

Ankara
August 14th

Wandered around the “Old Town” today, which is not really that old. The city was purpose built as a capital only 100 years ago. There was an interesting market to go through with meats, fish, produce, cheeses, spices, etc. Reminded me of St. Lawrence market in Toronto. (The subway also reminded me of Toronto. It was built by Bombardier in Thunder Bay, Ontario.)

My parents sent my DHL care package off to Baku yesterday. I've been tracking it online through: Hamilton, Toronto, Wilmington Ohio, New York, Leipzig Germany, and London. If all goes well, I'll pick it up in Baku on August 20th or so.

Spent 2 hours packing my bike for the flight to Baku. This is a long time for someone that hates packing. We got bike boxes from a local cycle shop, but they were for smaller mountain bikes, so I had to disassemble my bike a bit more than usual. Also had to make due without the usual level of protection (derallier cages, fork spacers, etc.) that I would usually use when boxing a bike. Bought a tea towel and some kitchen sponges for padding instead. Fingers crossed.

We fly to Baku tomorrow night, and potentially start cycling right away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

August 18 - Happy Birthday Daniel!

You'll be back in the saddle soon. Looking forward to future accounts of your ride.

LFL

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Daniel! Hope the flight went OK and that we will get an update soon.

Ma.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!
Hope you managed to have a great birthday celebration, wherever you were!
The D's

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Daniel!