The Route (Click to zoom)

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Buses Suck

Bus from Kars to Ankara
August 12th

Up at 5am for breakfast and loading the bus. Departed at 6:30am from Kars. Arrived in Ankara at 1am the next morning. 18.5 hours on a bus is not much fun, especially when its a tiny bus with no toilet and luggage piled on all the empty seats. I felt like the star of an Immodium commercial, but thankfully my stomach is feeling much better.

It was a bit depressing to drive back across Turkey towards Istanbul. I was really hoping to cycle EFI from coast to coast across Europe and Asia, but there will be a big gap in the middle now. We'll miss 5 days of riding in Georgia, and I suspect that we'll miss most of Azerbaijan as well, since we fly all the way to Baku – which is on the east coast. The tour company is going to try and do a 3 day “loop” that starts and ends in Baku, but this really isn't the same thing. Perhaps I can come back some day to cover the distance across Georgia, Armenia or Iran.

No photos taken today, but here are a few random ones of me that Nicole took:

I really liked the look of this pedestrian bridge:


Sporting my new jearsy after reaching Istanbul:


The stylish orange umbrella that lets me create my own shade while waiting at the top of hills:

I look pretty tired in this one:

2 comments:

LFL said...

When you return to Canada, you will no doubt hear about a shocking bus incident that recently happened out west.

Glad you are safe and sound...and apparantly recovered!

LFL

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Immodium is great. I never travel without it. Hope the parcel arrives safe and intact.

Ma.