The Route (Click to zoom)

Friday, August 8, 2008

EFI

Bush Camp near Pazaryolu to Yusufeli
August 7th
135km (2,471m vertical)

EFI = “Every Fucking Inch”. It means that you covered all of the distance from A to B under your own power...never riding in the tour bus. Is the goal of most riders on trips like this, and it is tough. Today my EFI status was seriously tested. I was sick and the day was miserable for me.

Our “toilets” last night were an area of the exposed, rocky hilltop about 200m from the tents. My stomach was having all kinds of troubles, and I spent most of the night trekking back and forth to these toilets. At one point, I lay down and tried to sleep out there, rather than walk all the way back to my tent.

Needless to say, I was not in great shape this morning. I was hoping for a short, easy ride. Instead, I got the third longest distance of the trip across rolling terrain with several steep climbs that (according to my altimeter) made it the second most climbing of the trip. The sun was baking at 95F in the afternoon, the roads were rough at several points, and there was a headwind for most of the day.

At about 100km, I hit rock in the road and fell off my bike. I should have been paying closer attention – it was flat road and I was only riding at 15km/h or so. Thankfully I didn't hurt myself or my bike seriously, although my left shoulder is very stiff and I've got some scratches on my right forearm. Because the heat had melted the road, I also ended up with black tar all over myself. It ruined my cycling gloves, covered my clothes and got stuck in the hair on my arms and legs. Just what I needed.

It was a real shame too, because the scenery today was truly amazing. We rode beside a river through two different rocky canyons.

Nicole was nice enough to ride with me all day, even though I had my slowest ride of the trip at only 16.5km/h. Paul, the silk route historian that was riding sweep, was also very helpful. We were on the road from 7am until 5:30pm...our longest day in the saddle yet. Somehow, we still arrived at camp at the same time as about 8 other riders, who must have had a leisurely day of photo taking. Instead of joining the others in a campsite, I checked into a hotel next door where close proximity to a real toilet was a huge asset.

The amazing view of our road from the top of a climb in the first canyon:

The tall, steep, rocky walls of the second canyon:

One of many scenic vistas:

Mid-afternoon stop at the side of the road. I was not in good shape:

Me fighting up a short, steep climb:

1 comment:

LFL said...

That top photo is awesome!

LFL