The Route (Click to zoom)

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Seventh Day

Osmancik to Amasya
August 1st
115km (1,655m vertical)

Today was all about getting there. The scenery was great, but it was the seventh riding day in a row and I just wanted to get out of my bike shorts for a while. Nicole and I went ahead of the others that we usually ride with, stopping only for photos and lunch...no ice cream breaks.

We continued to navigate through mountains in the morning. My mother will be pleased to hear that I reached yet another new top speed of 76.5km/h, with the help of a nice downhill and a tailwind. Unfortunately, the wind changed after lunch, and we fought a cross wind and headwind across flat terrain for most of the afternoon. What should have been an easy downhill into Amasya was ruined by a fierce headwind that kept us pedaling hard just to keep moving.

After being spoiled on the Orient Express trip, I was a bit disappointed to hear that we would be camping on a rest day...at a site 1km outside of town to boot. Thankfully, there was some problem with the campsite so we were moved into a lovely hotel in the city. Ideal.

I haven't spoken to her myself, but apparently Louise fell off her bike while riding on some slippery tiles in Amasya. She knocked herself unconscious but was alert again when the ambulance arrived because she refused to get into it. Sounds like she is ok, although I'll have to ask her about it tomorrow. In other medical news, Ben is out of his sling and his arm is looking really good. And Neil is back home in the US now, after several weeks recovering in Germany.

Nicole and Mike on an early morning downhill:

Nicole climbing in the mountains (a common view for me):

Mountain climb:

Flat land...with stong winds (not shown):

Now THAT is a pothole!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would not have liked to have you take a photo of my "behind"...good thing nicole doesn't have any excess flabs ...:P