The Route (Click to zoom)

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sumen to Varna

July 12th
104km (1,365m vertical)

Great weather and countryside today. We rode through rolling fields all day while the temperature stayed in the low 90s. Nicole was struggling on the hills again, so we were near the back of the pack for lunch and hotel arrival. I'm not sure what is causing her so much trouble. Some of her leg muscles are really sore, so she's getting a sports massage tonight. Hopefully that will be enough to prepare her for more hills on Monday, after our rest day tomorrow.

Varna is a touristy beach town on the Black Sea. We're staying very close to the beach on a pedestrian mall with lots of shops and stands around. I dropped off my laundry this afternoon and have internet in the hotel, so hopefully I can relax tomorrow.

I've been exchanging e-mails with Miles, the tour leader for the Silk Route portion of the trip from Istanbul to Beijing. Still no clear solution for the China visa problem. He's going to meet us in Bulgaria on Wednesday, so I'll talk to him then and make a final decision about flying back to Toronto.

Photos from today:

Rolling hills.

More rolling hills.

Sunflower field.

A man and his goats.

View of the Black Sea from my hotel balcony.

No comments: