The Route (Click to zoom)

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Baile Herculane to Targu Jiu

July 5th
104km (1,769m vertical)

My cycling computer wasn't working properly today. It thought that I was riding much faster than I really was...and thus much farther as well. At one point I hit 103km/h...which was definitely not correct. Its a pain, because I did ride very quickly today but could never tell how fast I was actually going.

Another gorgeous day of cycling – my favorite of the trip so far. Lots of climbing but lots of great scenery too and the temperature stayed between 70F and 80F all morning.

We started with a 35km climb from the hotel to the top of the valley. It was really lovely and I took plenty of photos. The rising sun was lighting up the rocky mountain tops as we pushed up the valley walls. From the top of the climb there was a 5km downhill to lunch. (This is where my computer says I hit 103km/h.) It was great, with a few tight but predictable turns, ok roads and no traffic. I was the first to lunch by 5 minutes, and only 5 others had arrived within 30 minutes.

After lunch, there was a long, gradual descent that must have lasted for 20km or so. Then rolling hills through to the finish. We had a snack stop at 80km where I grabbed a banana and a slice of orange before finishing the ride.

We're staying at another low end hotel tonight instead of a campsite. I borrowed Graeme's clippers and got Nicole to give me a haircut. It came out pretty well. My legs are tired from pushing myself today.

Some photos from today:





No comments: