The Route (Click to zoom)

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Online Again

Rest day in Kashgar
September 21st
0km

Went out for dinner last night for the first time in China. Found a place that had clearly never served an English speaker before. As soon as I started miming “I'll have what he's having” and “What is good on your menu?” the waitress looked panicked. She called over 3 other waitresses for backup, and eventually found an English-speaking customer to help translate. (The place was packed with locals.) Ended up with a very spicy sizzling lamb dish and a huge bowl of soup with mushrooms and meatballs. Tasty, but a bit to spicy for me. I was sweating profusely.

Our hotel has a good internet cafe, so I spent a few hours this morning updating my blog. Its going to be hard to keep the map updated, since Google Maps does not have any detail of Chinese cities, roads, etc. Apparently the government is pretty strict on their mapping information. They searched our bags at the border, and looked through all the maps and books that people brought. On the plus side, I am still able to access my blogger account here – so I have not been censored yet.

The hotel also did all my laundry for $20 (pretty expensive, but very convenient). I washed my bike in the afternoon, re-packed my bags, and relaxed. Five long days of riding until our next rest day. I would have liked to tour around Kashgar a bit, but felt like taking it easy. Its hard to be an active tourist for 6 months straight.

This is the main street in town, with lots of shops and resteraunts. Notice the kids cycling and skateboarding on the busy road, and the Olympics poster.

China is the first country since Europe that has recycling:

"DONOTDRIVETIREDLY"

Very specific butcher section in the supermarket:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to get an update, Dan and congratulations on so many achievements - reaching China, longest ride, fastest downhill and highest avearge speed! You've been through some amazing scenery - your narrative and photo sreally make me want to do it someday (soon). I really miss the touring and the old "tribe" and think about my experiences and you guys everyday. Enjoy and savour every moment! The Financial markets are going crazy at present so biking in China is a great place to be! Ride strong and stay well, regards to the old chaingang! Cheers Jos

Ryan said...

Dan

Great update. Glad to see you have not been enslaved in one of the 'stans'...was begining to wonder.

On that recycling picture...was that bambo that was being recycled?

Anonymous said...

Hello Dan!
Thank you for beautiful postcard from Samarkand.
All our family read you blog. It’s very interesting and photos are good and curious.
Excuse me for my bad English. When I read you blog, I study English.
West wishes to you.
O.Sivaeva

Anonymous said...

Welcome back on line. Missed your daily entries during the "blackout".


Looking forward to your return to Toronto.

Keep enjoying yourself.

LFL