The Route (Click to zoom)

Sunday, September 14, 2008

No Net

Rest Day in Osh
September 14th
0km

No laundry service in the hotel, so Nicole and I had to explore. Found a local student that understood English. He led us through the old soviet housing projects, and onto a busy main street that looked like Toronto's Chinatown. Vendors lined the crowded, messy sidewalks selling meats, produce and all kinds of knick-knacks. Eventually we got to a dry cleaners, who washed everything for US$12. (When we mimed “How much” he wrote "15" on a scrap of paper...then crossed it out and wrote "12"...as if he were quoting a special price just for us.)

Spent the afternoon looking for internet. Only found one place open on Sunday, but it was really slow and had no USB port to import my pre-typed blogs. Will have to wait for China to update the blog.

Grabbed some deep-fried pastries at a street vendor for lunch. Not my first choice, given my touchy stomach, but it was the pretty much the only option...and it was yummy.

We'll be doing a lot of climbing in the next 6 day stretch and it might get pretty cold up in the mountains. Need to do some re-packing tonight to prepare.

A photo of the laundry place that I took in case I had trouble finding it again when I went to pick up my clothes:

These types of kebobs are the most popular food around here:

Local vendors line the streets:

Cycling clothing hanging to dry beside our hotel. (Look at the garbage everywhere.)

Taxi liscences are apparently very easy to obtain in Osh:

No comments: