The Route (Click to zoom)

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Climbing Again

Samarkand to Bo'ston
September 9
138km (695m vertical)

After 2 great breakfasts on our rest days, the hotel only put out baloney and cheese for our breakfast this morning. The tour would really benefit from proper cycling breakfasts in hotels. There were lots of grocery stores in Samarkand that sold cereal and bread – the carbs that all of the riders are looking for before a long ride.

The brutal headwinds of the past two days were replaced by a gentle cross-wind today. It made such a difference to ride without fighting the wind all day. The temperature peaked at 95F, but it didn't feel this hot...or maybe I'm just used to the heat now.

More interesting terrain today, with a few long climbs for the first time since the Caspian. These gave views of open plains with herds of cattle moving across them. It was nice to have some terrain variety after the monotonous days in the desert and the dull days into Samarkand. It was also nice to get a downhill again. I hit 57.6km/h today...the fastest I've gone since the ferry from Baku to Turkmenbashi.

Nicole was sick today, but we still made decent time. Clive is also sick again. I think about half of the riders are currently taking Immodium. I am feeling pretty good for now, although I suspect that my stomach won't really feel normal again until I get home.

Some locals that we shared the road with:
You can see the mountains in the distance:

Lots of fruit for sale at the side of the road:

The open plains at the top of the day's climb:

No comments: