The Route (Click to zoom)

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Visa Saga II

Baoding to Gaobeidian
November 11th
65km (371m vertical)

Short ride today, so that we have a manageable distance into Beijing tomorrow. It was only 37F, so everyone was bundled up in multiple layers. The smog was terrible – like a thin fog. I've got a bit of a head cold and sore throat, probably due to the poor air quality. I've been gobbling down vitamin C tablets and had a long nap this afternoon.

Al and I plan to ride from Beijing to the coast on Thursday. It will be a long ride, so hopefully I'll feel better by then. We should be able to reach the coast in one day's ride, spend a night there, and then take a train back to Beijing. Hopefully we can find a map somewhere.

Long rider meeting tonight. They're having trouble converting our group visa into individual visas. Unless they do this, I will not be allowed on a plane home (since I have nothing in my passport to show that I entered China legally). The current plan is to get our passports back, with individual visas, on Nov 15th. This works fine for me, but others were planning to fly home before the 15th and will need to rebook their flights.

Joan, Clive and Mike sit down to dinner:

No comments: