The Route (Click to zoom)

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Final Thoughts

Beijing
November 20th

My Chinese visa finally came through. I'm at my departure gate in Beijing's beautiful new airport. After 194 days away, I'm going home.

The past six months are full of fond memories. There are not many people that have traveled from coast-to-coast across the world's largest landmass entirely under their own power. Because of the war in Georgia, I am not a member of this elite group....and that is more than a little irritating. However, of all the people that have NOT cycled ALL the way across Europe an Asia, surely we have come the closest. (I'm grasping at straws here, I know.)

Georgia was not our only challenge. Getting our Chinese visas was an education in government bureaucracy, and the border crossings in Central Asia were almost as ridiculous. We also spent almost half a year sleeping in bush camps on windy hill-tops and in the middle of open deserts without running water.

Then there was the cycling: We rode over mountains and into brutal headwinds. We rode across rocky, rutted desert tracks and up deep-sand switchbacks. We rode through heat that I'd never experienced before, through frigid rain, and even through a snowstorm. We rode when we were tired and we rode when we were sick...popping Immodium endlessly. All told, we cycled 13,776km in 123 days of riding, averaging 112km per day.

My bike was certainly up to the challenge. No real mechanical troubles and only 4 flat tires...two of which I caused myself while inflating the tubes, and one of which occurred mysteriously while I was back in Boston for my graduation.

Since I left, the world has changed. There is a financial crises and a new US president elect. In comparison, I think that I've changed less. I'm down to 172lbs...only 4lbs lighter than when I left. My legs and lungs are certainly in fine form...although my quads are still burning from my run up the Great Wall three days ago. And my desire for continued adventures is as strong as ever.

I had hoped that this trip would ease the transition from school to work, and it has. I'm not sure that the transition from bike to work will be any easier...but I'm looking forward to it. I'm ready for a normal life again, and looking forward to my next adventures.

Thanks to everyone for their e-mails and blog comments – they always made me smile. Hope that I can catch up with all of you in person soon.

2 comments:

#32 said...

Congrats, man. It's amazing what you've accomplished.

One other thing that's changed since you've been gone: the Canadian accent is now really stylish, and women can't resist it. That should work out well for you.

Bill said...

Dan,
I read your TdC blog before doing the TdC myself last year - quite the amazing adventure. We had a Paris Peking rider with us crossing Canada Pierre-Alain from Switzerland - really fun guy.
If you want to relive the adventure my blog is mysummerbehindbars.blogspot.com
Congrats on your adventurous spirit.