The Route (Click to zoom)

Friday, May 30, 2008

9 - Chaumont to Epinal

May 29
125km (1,784m vertical)

Thundershowers again last night. It was still raining steadily when we set off this morning. I kept thinking of my friend Meaghan, who said she though the trip sounded wonderful but could not understand why anyone would ride on rainy days. After a few hours, I was starting to agree with her. It was only 60F, dark and wet. Not ideal for cycling.

We cycled through several small woods in the morning, which were lush and green in the rain. Thankfully, the rain stopped and the sun was out before lunch. Shoes and socks stayed damp, but everything else got a dried out. The rain might have even been good for my lone cycling jersey, which was white at the beginning of the trip.

After lunch, we joined a main road into Epinal. The sun was hot as we rolled up and down through fields. I am allergic to one type of crop, I thinks its called Rape-seed. I discovered this during my last cycling trip to France. The itchy eyes and runny nose were back again this afternoon. I even broke out in itchy little red bumps on my arms, chest and face. Not fun. Together with a sore butt and stiff knees, I seem to be falling apart.

Found some dirt cheap accommodation a few km outside of Epinal. Al was happy. We each ordered two meals for dinner tonight. Greasy meats with rice, salad, french fries and green beans.

No comments: